affiliate_link

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Let Them Be Kids



I'm very confused by the way we raise kids today.  This new age parenting is completely lost on me.  When did it become the norm to not want our children to go outside and play?  What is so scary about letting our kids run the neighborhood like we used to as kids?  Do we watch too much CSI and Criminal Minds?Children should not be cooped up in their bedrooms on video games, an iphone, a ds, a tablet, their laptop or their xbox.  They should be outside, running, playing, climbing trees, getting in trouble, scraping their knees, playing football, rolling in the grass, skipping rope, and riding bikes!  I truly believe if we let our kids run out the front door to the neighbors house to play more "Simon Says" and less "Grand Theft Auto" our kids may be a little more willing to listen to their parents and behave.  Honestly, if you have a choice in games what would you want them to choose?  Learning to steal cars, OR learning to do what someone says?

 Don't get me wrong, I do NOT blame video games for all the trouble in the world.  Not even close.  My kids have video games.  We play on all the above mentioned things, and I have those things to thank for teaching my kids other kinds of things.  However, I believe that the real "Zombie Apocalypse" is going to be caused by overuse of these electronics. These things are seriously turning our children into zombies.  Example?  Here are my two children, or should I say zombies::


They would sit like this for hours on end if I didn't shove them out my front door to play in traffic!!  Okay, well, I'm totally kidding about the traffic.  I ALWAYS tell them to look both ways before crossing the road.  They actually LOVE playing outside though.  Once they are out there it's hard getting them back inside.  My kids have the most amazing imaginations.  While other kids are sitting in their rooms playing Angry Birds on their phones, mine are outside building the real thing.  Think I'm lying?


The owners of the house we used to rent had a huge pile of wood behind the shed that the boys had a field day with!!





Kids are AMAZING!  Their minds will go crazy with imagination if we allow it.  I would much rather have my children drag me outside to see what they built with their hands, imagination, and things they found while exploring the great outdoors, than having them yell at me from their bedroom to come see the cool character they built on some silly game using prompts that the game showed them.  

When did attachment parenting become such a trend?  When did parents quit letting their kids enjoy the outdoors, making friends with the kid across the street, riding their bikes around the block?  When did parents decide it was more beneficial to stuff them in a corner with some form of electronic device than letting them go play?  Oddly enough, it seems most of the time these are the same parents that end up confused about why their kids are depressed.  Then these kids end up diagnosed with some new fangled disease that requires the child to be medicated and eventually worse off.  I trust enough in my parenting skills to believe that my children are aware of their surroundings.  They know "stranger danger", they know not to go inside homes of people we don't know.  My children are not stupid.  I allow my kids to have some freedom because I want them to be confident, smart, have social skills, an imagination, and a sense of self worth.  I want them to run, and jump, and play!  I want them to climb trees, get dirty, and make friends.  I want them to learn athletic skills, and get exercise.  I want them to take in the fresh air, and the sunlight, and jump in puddles, spin around in the rain, and build snowmen.  I want them to fight, and get mad, and learn to solve those problems.  

I WANT MY KIDS TO BE KIDS!!

I WANT MY KIDS TO EXPERIENCE LIFE!!

I'm sure a lot of you are probably thinking, "well where will she be? Is she worried about her kids getting kidnapper?  Is she sending them outside to avoid having to deal with them?"  

Yes, I am worried about them being kidnapped but I am more worried about them not getting a chance to enjoy life as a child.
Yes, there are times when I am sending them outside to avoid dealing with them.  Fighting indoor kids are much louder than fight outdoor kids!  
Where will I be while they are running and playing outside?  I will be making their snacks, checking homework, folding laundry, doing dishes, and peeking out of my windows at them, smiling and rejoicing in the thought that they are happy, healthy, fun, loving, and well adjusted children. 




8 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Kid Led Learing? How are they ever going to try anything new if we don't give them the nudge to go explore? And scraping your knee is NOT the end of the word. I do NOT want my children to freak out every time life gets a little bumpy.... or painful. I am not their friend, I am their mother. Life isn't whatever you want... cause and effect my wee heathens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls are still a little too small to be playing outside all free and everything,but if they were older, I'd have no issue with them hanging outside with the neighbors. The kids in the two houses across the street from us are always outside. My only concern would be someone snatching them up, but where we live now, that isn't a huge concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well stated Tia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the exact reason that we are currently in "escrow" to buy our first home in a warmer state then we currently live in. Our #1 priority for the house, well actually it was at least 3 bedrooms so my boys could have their own room, but #2 priority was that we have a nice size backyard. I want my boys to go running around and have fun, and well just be boys! We have been in an apartment all of their lives and can only go play at the park when the weather is optimal which seems to be less and less every year. Our new home has a huge backyard that they can truly have lots of fun in. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived on a small street in the Southern California mountains and our kids were outside ALL THE TIME! I loved that they could run free on our street with their neighbor friends. They would ride bikes all day long, play made-up games and in the winter build snow men, have snowball fights and sled down the vacant lot next door. I miss that street so much. It was a perfect place for kids to grow up, I wish we would have never left. Hopefully wherever we end up next will be just as great for my girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. For one thing, many parents like their kids to be "entertained" with the video games so they won't have to interact with them. I've seen it. I was a nanny for 12 years! Years ago when I have a home daycare, we spent most of our time outside. Each child had a raincoat and boots and umbrellas and we had fun in the rain. Mud play is awesome in the rain!

    Anyway its all about balance - Good job Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where we live in SA we have walls around our houses. I live on a property with four houses. We each have a wall so that our yards are seperate but there is a large wall surrounding the entire place with a very high security gate. My sliding doors to my backyard and the front door which leads to the garages and parking area between all our houses is ALWAYS open. Lil Mister goes in and out as he pleases. I still keep an eye on him obviously but he is free to play. If he is inside for too long I'm chasing him back out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know for a fact that "Story of a Girl" lets her children play outside. I have seen it with my own eyes. They absolutely love the outdoors. Also, their mom takes them to the park, zoo, museums, etc. Those boys are always learning from all their activities. And I am sure "The Princess" will be the same way. You are a great mom! Good job! :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Copyrighted by My Pleasant Nightmare

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...