affiliate_link

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

For the Love of Fireworks

As you probably already know, I am back in my hometown for a visit for the entire month of July.  In this town they hold their annual fireworks on the 3rd of July so that families can enjoy the day together on the 4th without having to rush and deal with the chaos that comes with the fireworks.

My mom, my sister, and I took all of my little people to the fireworks tonight.  It was the first time in a really long time that my mom actually didn't have to work and she got to come with us.  We watch them at the same place every year when I came to visit.  My Dad is a member of the Eagles Club, and they have a restaurant and rooftop parking.  Perfect for watching the show.

The show was supposed to start at 9:15.  We knew parking would be atrocious so we decided to go down there at 7, grab a fab parking spot, and have some dinner before the show.  We just knew it was going to be the perfect night.

Why do parents *think* they know that the night is going to go great?  Why?  Why do we do this to ourselves?  It is dumb, and it backfires EVERY.DANG.TIME.  Why don't we learn from our mistakes and just realize that no matter how perfect it sounds, and how well we plan, IT.WILL.ALWAYS.BE.A.DISASTER.??

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

I have been in this parenting gig for 8 years now.  Not one of the past 8 years worth of events have went smoothly, or perfectly.  What made me think this would be any different???  Sometimes I just want to peek around every corner to check and see if Ashton is there with his camera crew to jump out and yell

"YOU GOT PUNK'D!"

Of course that happening would actually make me feel better.  I would love to hear that I've been getting unknowingly "punk'd" for the last 8 years.  I would feel much better about myself, and my parenting skills.  Who are we kidding though?  Every outing I make should be on video.  It's like a giant never ending joke.

Tonight we managed to get all of this kids in the door.  Thing 1 was starving but was scared to eat because he thought he'd get sick.  Thing 2 only wanted a "hangburger" with ketchup and he wanted it NOW, Thing 3 wanted to eat a napkin, a piece of plastic, the string from her dress, Oh and a finger.  Both Thing 1 & 2 wanted 7 up.  One wanted it with cherries and the other wanted it with just ice.  They both came with cherries.  The world as we knew it was about to come to an end.  I traded classes of ice with him and that seemed to please him.  THANK YOU JESUS!

Then it was time to go to the rooftop.  Once we got up there Thing 1 informed us that "I am NOT sitting on the ground.  Bugs will crawl on me!"

TOO BAD!

Thing 3 wanted to crawl all over the roof and scrape her knees, and Thing 2, he was break dancing all over the place.  Finally the fireworks started.  The boys finally shut up for a few seconds.  The Princess really enjoyed the show.  Then, Thing 2 had to pee.  SERIOUSLY???  He's the one potty training so I couldn't make him hold it.  I ran him inside and let him pee.  He was in such a hurry that most of the pee ended up in his shirt.  *SIGH*  I helped him wash his hands though and we ran back out.

As soon as I got out there, Thing 1 informed us that he wanted to be dropped of at home because he was tired.  Ummmmmmm....not really how it works WHEN YOU'RE 8!!  Suck it up kid!  It's only a half hour show.  This is also the kid who has been counting down the days until it was fireworks time for the last month!!  After finishing that arguement, Thing 2 looked up at me and informed me he didn't get all the pee out the first time and needed to go again.  So we ran back in, went through the whole bathroom process AGAIN, and ran back out.

Once I was back out Thing 1 had talked his Grandma into walking him down to the car and letting him sit in there.  This confused Thing 2 and when they left he got upset and wanted to leave too.  So my sister, the princess and I went down there to just pack up and go.  This was a bust!  Once we got down there the kids heard the finally going off and then wanted to get out of the car and watch it.  Ummmmmm...HELLOOO??  You both wanted to leave....Now the fireworks are blocked by buildings and you want to get out and try and watch it?  Freakin' kids!  I swear they have more mood swings than a pregnant woman!  I'm glad to be home and in bed now.  I'll show off a few of the good moments though :)















3 comments:

  1. All I can say is "Geesh! What a night!" I will most likely not take another 4th of July off again! LOL, just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like you still had some fun through out all that. Happy 4th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love what drives you crazy then..makes you laugh as you write it :) Looks like you had an interesting but fun 4th :) Thank you for sharing it with us! The pictures of your kids are great and they are super adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Copyrighted by My Pleasant Nightmare

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...