affiliate_link

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Story of a Baby Girl

"This must be what walking The Green Mile feels like."

Those were the words I spoke to Heath while walking down the hospital corridor.

We had to be at the hospital at 5 am on Tuesday, August 21st.  We knew the Labor and Delivery doors were locked at the time of the morning because they told us to use the main hospital entrance.  Apparently, what I consider the "main" entrance and what they consider the "main" entrance are two different things.  We actually tried to use the doors marked "MAIN ENTRY"....They were locked.  We were directed to the Emergency Entry where we were informed that those doors, were in fact, the "main entrance" they spoke of.  "OHHHHHHH , Okay, I must have misunderstood.  Silly me!  I get doors confused ALL the time!  Must be my pregnant brain getting the best of me!"  I said in my most sarcastic 5 am tone.  Some how my sense of humor is lost on most and the ER desk lady laughed and said, Oh honey, pregnant women get confused all the time!  We are used to it.  Don't you worry!"  So, I fake laughed, grabbed my paperwork, rolled my eyes and waddled down the hall.  THE.LONGEST.HALL.IN.THE.WORLD.  I felt like we were never going to make it to those elevators!  It was as if the last few moments of my pregnant life were flashing before my eyes in this odd movie montage kind of way and then that the movie would end in my demise.

WELL, it did not!  I am still here to tell the tale.  I prayed for death though.  I have never cried while giving birth.  This baby changed that.  I cried more than she did!  The contractions started the moment the I.V was hooked up.  It didn't surprise me too much though, it was not my first induction.  They did hurt a tiny bit.  My doctor came in a couple of hours later and said she was going to break my water and did I plan on getting an epidural because once the water bag was broken things would go quick!  I told her to please put me on the epi list because I was not going drug free if I didn't have too.

About an hour later Dave came into my room and told me he would be doing my epidural.  He showed me what to do.  I did it.  He said it all went in my back beautifully.  "OH, THANK GOD!!  Last baby I had the epidural only numbed my left side and the man who did it told me I had a bad spine."
Dave laughed and said it would be fine, not to worry, and left the room.  Ten minutes later the nurse came in and asked how I was feeling.  "Guess what???  It only numbed my left side!!!!"  
She calls Dave.
Dave comes in.
Dave doesn't understand.
Dave tells me he will have to redo it.

HOLD ON!! WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY DAVE???  REDO IT??  YOU MEAN STAB ME IN THE SPINE AGAIN??

Dammit Dave!  You told me it went in beautiful and everything would work great!  

Epidural, Take 2!  
Dave says this one looks perfect and it was...until it wasn't.  It just quit working...WHAT THE HECK??
OHHHHH DAAAAAAVE!!!

Epidural, Take 3!
yep you read that right.  Take 3!!  Third time's a charm.....right?
Yes, yes it is!  IT WORKED!!  I felt no pain!  YAY!!!! 

By this time the contractions were coming in fast and hard!  The labor did not go quite as fast as the doctor claimed it would after the water was broken.  BUT at around 6:20 pm it was time to push!  
You will never guess what happened!  The epidural bottle ran dry right before that and I ended up feeling the whole thing.  *sigh*  
Story of my Life....It's the damn Story of a Girl.  On a bright note.  This is The Story of a Girl who finally got her little girl!  Little Miss A is here and well and beautiful and perfect and I am getting to experience falling in love all over again!!  

Welcome to the world my sweet girl!!!
Adeline Claire
6lbs 6oz
&
19.5 inches
of perfection!


9 comments:

  1. Oh geez! SO sorry they had to stick you 3 times and then it went dry :( I am so glad I got to be there- if only for a little bit! And I know exactly what you mean by that being the LONGEST HALL EVER!! Do you know how many times I ran that after a 2 or 6am phone call telling me to get down there now?! Glad y'all are home and I can't wait to meet that precious little girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection for real! You are blessed!! she is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful baby girl! I am sorry that you had to get 3 epidurals, but you are a better trooper than I am! My first born, I had absolutely NOTHING for pain, until after the baby was born, that is when the doctor gave me a local to sew me up. 2nd and 3rd degree lacerations, almost 2 hundred stitches inside and out. HORRIBLE. I must say though, the pain went away as soon as the baby was born anyway. My second, I opted for the drugs...anything and everything they would give me, including the epidural. BIGGEST mistake of my life. That was 9 years ago (the 7th of this month) and I still have back issues caused from it. When I shower, I have to stand just right so the water does not hit "that spot" otherwise my legs go numb and I fall flat on my face. Not to mention, the damn thing only worked for about 5 minutes anyway. Ugh. If I were do it all over again, I would not have any drugs. Well, maybe some stateall or something, but no epidural. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly pregnant brain confusing you! I wonder how many pregnant women they do that too just to make them feel crazy. I bet they're ticking lines off behind their desk and laughing as another one comes in confused. She is beautiful and perfect and I so wish I were there to snuggle her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that you went through all that pain. If I was there, "Dave" would have got a piece of my mind!But now that pain is behind you. You won't forget the pain, but everytime you hold and look at your beautiful baby girl, the pain goes away. Anyway, I just want you to know how proud of you I am. I raised a very beautiful and brave young woman! And now you get to go through the trials and tribulations of raising a girl. Yay!!!! But you also get to raise a girl who will not just be your daughter, but your friend. I have been blessed enough to have 2 of you! And now you have blessed me and your dad with 3 beautiful and perfect grandchildren!
    Congratulations to you and Heath! Adeline is so beautiful and so perfect! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't stab the ER chicky in the face. I'm sure she's glad too.

    Adeline is **gorgeous**. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's a doll! Can't wait to meet her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was worth it, I'm sure. So glad you got through it all relatively unscathed. I wish I was close enough to bring you a dinner and visit lol

    xoxoxo

    Brightest of blessings and lots of love
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you & welcome to your angel, born on my baby girl's birthday! ...my baby girl is 10

    ReplyDelete

Copyrighted by My Pleasant Nightmare

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...